*****

*****

Friday 1 June 2012

Looking Good and Doing Good (June-July 2012)

Looking Good
But at any time an organization makes a seriously wrong decision, its leaders should call for an intensive postmortem. Such learning opportunities are too often overlooked. The tendency is simply to call on the public relations department to spin the mater, to make another inadequately thought-out decision, and perhaps to scapegoat, even fire, a few staff members. Because most companies cover up their mistakes instead of learning from them, systemic flaws in information flow tend to remain to do their damage another day.” (pp. 22-23) Transparency: How Leaders Create a Culture of Candor (2008). Warren Bennis, Daniel Goleman, James O'Toole, and Patricia Ward Biederman
(Note for more quotes from the book Transparency, click here)
.
Update One: The Petition.  There are now nearly 100 signatures on the Shine the Light online petition (see previous entry below). The petition is a call for integrity and action, for transparency and accountability regarding the NCI fraud. It challenges many of the organizations and people affected by the NCI fraud, especially those who publicly represent themselves as followers of Jesus Christ. The petition will thus continue to be available online (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/shine-the-light-together/), giving people the opportunity to get accurate information about the fraud and to help by signing/sharing the petition. Members and donors of the organizations listed on the petition are specifically requested to help. So far there has been no response from the organizations listed in the petition.
.
Some comments from signatories:
 .


"We and the institutions we lead are judged more by our actions than our words."
.
"My prayers are with those who have been conned and are now working to get the truth out."
.
"Integrity is vital and your zeal in promoting it is worthy of commendation."
.
"Ignoring or discounting fraud only perpetuates it and increases the likelihood of future incidents. It is for this reason we support this call for accountability and action."
.
"This is a great opportunity to get informed, step forward, and help right the wrongs. It is my hope that healing and justice prevail as we seek and embrace the whole truth in this far-reaching debacle."
.
"I care a great deal what happens to personal resources but I also care equally that the church (in this case support and sending groups) be cleansed and pruned so that they can once again become healthy, vibrant units. We should do this lest the supporting ministries perhaps become categorized with "men who loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil." "
.
Update Two. The Process. Informing the public, seeking justice, and confronting the fraud, spin, and cover ups are simply not going to stop. Looking good—or looking the other way—is never a substitute for doing good. There is plenty of light shining (e.g., court documents) in order for people to take responsible and ethical action.
*****
Here are three items that are filled with “comments” regarding  honesty, integrity, transparency, and good financial stewardship.
.
 1. Kristian Westergard, Länna, Sweden 2 April 2012
To whom it may concern
.
Finally I will give a statement after many years of silence in this unfortunate process.
.
In the beginning about four years ago I still tried to communicate to some of the investors but when I realized that my emails were forwarded to the authorities I had to stop.
.
I am deeply sorry and do not find words how to apologize to all who have suffered in this process.
.
Never could I imagine that this would happen. I don’t even try to say that I can understand the agony you have been through and still are going through.
.
It is a constant pain in my heart and I am committed never to give up before I have repaid all involved. I have been working all the time in this respect and continue to do so with the help of others now when I will be even more limited. At this moment I will not disclose any further facts, next time you hear from me it will be more concrete.
.
Today I must enter the “open institution” near my home (only 10 minutes by car) and I don’t know exactly how long I must stay there, as it is a matter of negotiation how to make best use of this time. But after a while I will be granted leave of absence for week-ends so I can communicate again with the world outside. I have of course access to make phone calls but I cannot receive calls.
.
How could all this happen? I don’t have the answers but I know one thing for sure:
.
I am no criminal and the so called NCI scam was not what Kelly & Co and others try to make out of it.
.
Unsuccessful business and failure to complete transactions does not automatically mean criminal intent and activity.
.
The allegations against me and Erik Spruyt, that we would have planned all this with an evil intent to rob people is absurd. That is actually what Kelly & Co claim and all this work with  “Petra people” is a big shame. But I am not bitter against Kelly and others, I have forgiven them. Unfortunately their actions have created an extended delay which has been harmful to all.  I tried before the process to advice Kelly not to proceed in that direction but he was not willing to listen.
.
The main judge in the higher court (Hovrätten) the so called “Referent Judge” wanted to free me total and wrote as much as 18 pages in the verdict with references made to the laws why no sentence should be made in this case. Unfortunately the other two judges did not agree with her.
.
The whole process has harmed all of you as it has made it difficult for me to work out solutions for repayments. Those investors who came to the court fell in trap of the prosecutor, believing that if they cooperate with her they will get their money sent back to them. I have seen such letters sent to the prosecutor.
.
Almost all tried to do their best to make it look like I had cheated them with intent.
.
Some made statements that were absolutely not true.
.
But the truth is that my sole intent was to help finance mission projects and support missionaries.
.
And as I said before I will continue as long as I live to make those efforts come true.
.
I have now seen how the Swedish legal system works and it scars me. The judge (chairman) in the Uppsala court was acting very unprofessionally. He was from day one angry, irritated, acting like a third prosecutor. My lawyer and many visitors were astonished over his behaviour.
.
I don’t intend to go into more details at this point but sometimes later I will write a full story of the “scam” the system performed trying to make me a criminal.
.
What is the result of all this? My time in the institution does not repay you and is no real punishment to me. The real punishment is that I could not yet repay and that I have carried with me already some years and will continue to carry until I have fulfilled my obligations.
.
I will try to be as effective as possible while in the institution to accomplish steps toward a solution that will gain all of us eventually.
.
Never give up! I stand now and forever on the promise in Rom 8:28. Something good will eventually come out of this all.
.
Please understand that I cannot answer any questions or make any further comments at this time.
.
You may respond of course but don’t expect anything back from me during the coming 8-12 months.
.
With warm greetings to all of you
.
 Kristian Westergard
 --------------------------
.
Youth With a Mission (YWAM)
These two items are from the “ywamlife” website. We have added the yellow highlights for emphasis.
.
2. The Good Name Pledge
YWAM's Global Leadership Forum as well as all operating location leadership teams will be using the Good Name Pledge as an orientation and regular teaching opportunity. Interactive dialogue and discussion should take place at least once a year on best practices, highlighting the values of YWAM openness, honesty, integrity, transparency and accountability.
.
Good Name Pledge
I covenant before God—together with my brothers and sisters in YWAM—to honor the name, the logo of YWAM and walk according to its foundational values and covenants. “A good name is more
desirable than great riches and favor more than silver or gold.“ Proverbs 22:1
Name:
Signed/Date
Witness: Signed/Date
Witness: Signed/Date
.
These principles of stewardship apply generally to all of YWAM, even in locations where the name cannot be used openly.“God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we walk in the light as He is in the light then we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus, His son, cleanses us from all unrighteousness”.1 John l: 5-7. One of the most important aspects of stewardship for a non-profit (or charitable) ministry entity is transparency. We should always remember that expectations of both the law and the general public should provoke us to complete transparency. All YWAM entities are obliged to meet the requirements of the law in the nation where they are incorporated; in addition we need to be transparent within our own teams or communities. Transparency is practically translated into several principles and practices…(click the title above to read the entire document).
.
Doing Good
Truth is the conformity of mind to reality,
and not the other way around.
.
 NCI is an international fraud which has only partially been dealt with by Sweden. Unsubstantiated broad assertions without clear documentary backing and which do not fit with the documentation, might look good, but they are not helpful. Financial policies look good, but they require responsible and ethical action to apply them. Money flows have gone to Mercy Ministries associations and Board members, the NGF foundation, and Le Rucher as well as to YWAM personnel and projects. The fuller story needs to be disclosed and its broader nature investigated. Those organizations and individuals receiving NCI monies that are net positive especially need to help recover funds. Both the governments and people in the church-mission community have important roles to play. No one here is implying intentionality or criminality. But there is an ethical and probably legal need to disclose and return money.  And until this happens, a huge dark shadow will continue to hang over the church-mission community in addition to the people/organizations affected by NCI.

1 comment:

  1. There is so obviously something to cover up because no one individual or organisation is speaking up. Mr Westergaard hasn't even realised where he has gone wrong. He is too old with no income to pay people back and he has had years to speak up and refused. The good that could come out of this is that people will open the doors and tell the truth and help those who have been duped. Forget the religion, where is the human conscience? In case one needs reminding, conscience = the inner sense of what is right or wrong in one's conduct or motives, impelling one toward right action.

    ReplyDelete